This week on The Brute Strength Podcast, we’ll be going into the mind of Strength Coach; Jake Hutton (@jacobhutton1). I first met Jake at Southern Utah University and since then he’s been a good friend and a great mentor in the world of Strength & Conditioning. This guy definitely knows his shit when it comes to gaining strength and building mass. In this episode Jake shares a wealth of knowledge regarding strength methodologies, speed work, the importance of change-of-direction, preventing injuries with dynamic warm-ups, and how to be 250lb of muscle and super flexible. There’s a ton of information in this one including some recommended resources for you to follow up on. Enjoy the show.
Topics of discussion:
- [3:10] Jake’s background
- [4:55] The “Tier System” of training
- [10:21] Training sport athletes
- [14:16] Speed work
- [19:55] Speed drills
- [23:44] Post-activation potentiation
- [28:00] Triphasic training & eccentric/ isometric philosophy
- [31:50] Putting on mass as a CrossFit athlete
- [37:56] Change of direction work
- [39:33] Injury prevention & Dynamic warm-ups
- [44:55] 250lb & super flexible
- The Tim Ferris Show ft. Coach Sommer (Part 1)
- The Tim Ferris Show ft. Coach Sommer (Part 2)
- [47:45] Resources for Strength & Conditioning, Nutrition, Health/ Wellness… etc.